Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Tuesday, November 29, 2005

There and back again (with apologies to J.R.R.)

There I was, enjoying a fine fall evening on my front porch, enjoying a bit of the old pipe weed, when unexpectedly a quite bothersome spirit arrived to change my plans.

You see the Harvest Feast was arriving quite soon, and I was looking forward to plenty of lounging around and four days without labor. This spirit (we'll just call her Danielle) told me of an unexpected journey to search for treasure (or turkey) in a land far away. I laughed her off at first, sure that nothing would move me from my warm hobbit hole.

I brought up all the reasons I couldn't possibly make this journey, obligations, commitments, feeding schedules, but miraculously, all obstacles were overcome. The journey began on a Wednesday, as all magical journeys usually don't, and we took lodgings in a
Courtyard near our departure area for the next day. Though we thought we might've been LOST for a while, we found our way again by the next morning. Then, on the day of the feast itself, I found myself upon one of the majestic flying eagles and arrived in the land of Family Evermore!

It was an unexpected party, to say the least, and there ended up being 13 of them, (if you include the dog, cat, and bearded dragon), myself making lucky number 14. The feast was mighty, the food all around, and as soon as it was done, the cleaning was completed like magic, without me having to raise a hand.

her name was Chico...


But the journey was far from over. There were other family members to eat with and even more traveling to be done, but this time in a giant diesel truck (or, I don't know, Clydesdale? I'm kind of running out of allegory here), the likes of which would make even the thunder god quake.

We saw the ruins of many once grand castles, many damaged by a mighty dragon named Rita.

Four days into this fantastic tale, it was time to begin the journey home. We bundled up our newfound treasure (ok, ok, a new set of pots and pans, a bottle of wine, some lemons, and a tablecloth... a tablecloth of magic!!!! .... ok, ok, just a regular tablecloth) and began the treacherous journey home, once again aback a mighty eagle!

This eagle wasn't quite as punctual as the previous one and this tale of wonder ended in naught but woe.

Upon arriving much later than expected, and finding that [BART] wasn't still running, we had to make alternate transportation plans, as did 90% of the others there. We waited in the cold rain and wind, only to have our loot spill out upon the ground. (The bag broke) Half an hour later, it was finally our turn to get a cab which was luckily staffed by a very friendly driver. He made the cold and wet seem not quite as bad, and the costly ride (Oakland Airport to Lafayette) seem almost worth it.

Overall, the weekend was full of adventure, excitement, and, yes, I'll admit it, fun. I enjoyed being able to see all of my family, and was glad to get meeting hers out of the way.

But we've already decided, next year, we are staying at home!

For those of you non-scifi-fantasy fans, I'm sure you will be able to find a more understandable chain of events
here fairly soon (if not already).

Randomly enough, I did see the most misnamed place I've ever run across somewhere on my way through Houston. "The Hobbit Hole - Sports Bar"

I'm not sure about you, but most people I know who would know what a hobbit hole is, aren't the type to frequent sports bars.


"We hobbits are plain, quiet creatures. Adventures make one late for dinner." -Bilbo Baggins The Hobbit

Posted by timothy :: Direct Link 0 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------