Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Stop Living Strong, already!

So I was watching a person walk by me this morning, apparently talking to themselves. As this is someone I see in the office daily, I could only assume they had a hands free device on and were talking on their phone. But it got me thinking that it will only get harder and harder to tell which people are on the phone, and which people are merely talking to themselves.

I'm sure you've all seen a homeless person on the street talking to themselves. It happens all too often. But now, we can no longer tell whether or not said person is sane. I was going to talk about how we should provide earpieces to homeless people in a program called "Hands Free for the Homeless" (that way they would atleast look sane), then I thought that that may be tasteless, and I would add a disclaimer about how mental illness is really not a joke and I was going to provide a link to The National Mental Health Association webpage, and then I saw this.



The whole LiveStrong bracelet thing has now gone too far. I was considering taking mental illness seriously, only to find out that those who should be taking it seriously, aren't! "Check your head?!?" Seriously? Is the need for funding so great that they have been reduced to quoting Beastie Boys lyrics and making bracelets that apeal to 13 year olds? I mean, I understand that mental illness in children is a problem that often goes undetected, but is jumping on a bandwagon really going to help? I hate to break it to these folks, but the Beastie Boys, whose original album was released in 1982, are virtually unknown to the youth these days. They have no concept of the fights we had for their right to party. I'm almost positive that they wouldn't know what to do with a wiffle ball bat. And this is the first thing that comes to mind when they think of Brass Monkey...
[no longer quite as funky]


When will fundraisers realize that the thing that made the LiveStrong bracelets so popular was the fact that they were one of kind, an original. Everyone else knows that everytime you take a photocopy of a photocopy, each succesive generation goes down in quality, why can't they figure it out. They would raise a lot more money, and do a lot more for their cause, if they would spend a little extra on coming up with original ideas.

I know that this isn't the first reincarnation of the Lance Armstrong bracelet...

But lets hope that it is the last!

"Fads are the kiss of death. When the fad goes away, you go with it. " -Conway Twitty (cuz when am I gonna get another chance to quote Conway Twitty)


Posted by timothy :: Direct Link 1 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------