Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Eclipse-tastic

So for those of you unaware tomorrow the Earth will experience the first total eclipse in years. Eclipses of long past were often associated with portentous events, typically of the bad kind.

eclipse as seen from MIR


So in honor of this week's total solar eclipse, I will remind you all of some of the many unfortunate events caused by them.

"The Watcher in the Woods"
This was a movie from 1980. Its about a family who moves into a mansion, but can't get Bette Davis to leave because her daughter mysteriously disappeared many years before while playing "blind man's bluff" with some evil friends during a total eclipse. This movie suffered under many script revisions and bad technical affects and never achieved the acclaim the original book deserved. (this is what happens when Disney tries to make a horror film) I faintly remember this movie from when I was little, and have always had fond recollections of it. This was probably the first instance of me enjoying really really bad movies! Be sure to rent it this weekend.


Blindness
Eclipses are often thought to cause blindness in those who stare directly at it, because the coronal flare from the sun is still bright enough to burn your retina.... ...but no more so than staring at the sun in general will.
Though for any who actually saw "The Watcher in the Woods" blindness may be seen as a relief from Bette Davis' freaky, freaky eyes! Unfortunately this won't help you with the next subject which is

"Total Eclipse of the Heart!"
If you want the full lyrics to this stirring ballad, you can check them out here. Say what you will about me (and I know you will) but I've always enjoyed this song... ...or maybe I enjoy harassing others by singing this song, but it all amounts to the same thing for me. Bonnie Tyler has produced a plethora of songs over the years, but this is the only one I can think of. So I will leave you with a snippet of the vastly annoying lyrics of this song:

And I need you now tonight
And I need you more than ev-a
And if you'll only hold me tight
We'll be holding on forever
And we'll only be making it right
Cause we'll never be wrong together
We can take it to the end of the line
Your love is like a shadow on me all of the time
I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark
We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks
I really need you tonight
Forever's gonna start tonight
Forever's gonna start tonight

Once upon a time I was falling in love
But now I'm only falling apart
There's nothing I can do
A total eclipse of the heart

If you would like to learn more about the actual eclipse, there's an good article here.

Unfortunately for us in America, the eclipse will be seen only in South America, Africa and Eastern Europe... ...much like Bonnie Tyler's recent concerts! [ZING]


Posted by timothy :: Direct Link 7 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------